Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Over My Head From the Get Go

My wife and I finally found the foreclosure of my dreams : )  She liked it, I loved it!  The house is 4b 2b approx. 1900~ sq ft. with a small 1 B 1B guest house and a HUGE Barn on .76 acres.  The barn potential alone made it worth while.

Things we knew needed to be done ASAP going into the purchase were:

- Spot treatment for termites
- Carpet Cleaning
- Fence Repair/Rebuilding
- Purchase Appliances (All but dishwasher)
- Electrical work in the main house
- Replace all missing Base Boards (Who steals base boards?)
- Paint Interior - All walls, 'cept ceiling
- Replace all face plates on outlets
- Install internal gates for dogs
- Replace toilets
- Window Treatments
- Remove carpet in family room
- Remove tile in kitch
-Stain concrete in kitchen and family room
- Kill ants and Spiders (tons of them)
- Major lawn work (Remove termite infested huge dead tree, 30+ un-cared for fruit trees on property-some dead, irrigation lines tested and sprinkler head fixes, tons of leaves/dead fruit, etc).

Long Term Projects

- New sub-panel on barn to power it up
- Take guest house down to foundation and rebuild
- Potential Leach Line issue with septic tank
- Pave the back 60% of our U shaped driveway

I'll post before pictures next. 

Most of the work is being done by my wife and I, close friends and the occasional contractor when the work has a high probability that doing it myself will lead to my death or the death/destruction of someone else or the property itself.

Hopefully, the story of our trials and errors will be useful to those of you in a similar situation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment